[infinispan-dev] Starting caches in parallel

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Thu Aug 4 11:15:49 EDT 2011

On Aug 4, 2011, at 5:06 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

>> Hmmmm, not sure about the warn message. Surely a no-op and if it's no-op from the 2nd time onwards, what's the warning about?
>
> My reasoning is that if you're starting caches multiple times, then
> you're likely expecting Infinispan to support asymmetric clusters.

Hmmmmmmm, I see what you mean but I think this needs further baking. You're implying that if you do the following, "manik" cache could be started a different time:

cacheContainer.startCaches("galder", "sanne") -> starts galder and sanne
cacheContainer.startCaches("galder", "sanne") -> does nothing, why warn?
cacheContainer.startCaches("galder", "sanne", "manik") -> starts manik - yeah could be seen as asymmetric clusters - maybe this one should show a warning saying that "manik" was started at a different time to the other caches, and point to the docu...

> Many expect asymmetric clusters to just work, not all realize that
> they are wrong until in a late development stage: it's obviously
> unlikely that people test their application in cluster in its early
> design phases.
> This had bitten myself and it did no good to my project, and I still
> think we're not making this limitation clear enough. A log is quite
> likely going to be noticed, and I see no harm in it; users could save
> a lot of time; I see no reason to not warn?
>
> Cheers,
> Sanne

Sr. Software Engineer
Infinispan, JBoss Cache