[infinispan-dev] Logger lookup performance

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Mon Aug 8 06:06:57 EDT 2011

Hi all,
raising some attention here on Pete's suggestions;
over the weekend we fixed this bootstrap performance issue ISPN-1315,
which I had given the name "Reduce number of Logger instances being
created",
after looking at this profiler screenshot:
http://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-619820-16841/hotspot.jpg

Now Pete suggested that the JBoss Logging should return the same
instance; TBH from the screenshot all we know is that
LogFactory.getLog(Class) invocations are taking 280 seconds, so I
guess they are actually returning always the same instance, but and
likely the time is spent in finding it. I'll rename the issue.

IMO we should stick with "static final" loggers, unless there are
special reasons (and then please add a comment to clarify it was an
intentional choice).

To focus on this performance issue from the forums [1], Chris Meunier
reports that with this last fix the boot performance is back to 10
seconds from the 3 minutes it was taking, so much better, but are
still 10 seconds looks like a lot, as they are spent in the components
registry - not in network operations.
I'm creating another JIRA but won't be able to work on it soon - have
to focus on Hibernate - could anybody take this over from me? I
wouldn't postpone it, so that Chris on the forums can keep helping us
with it. Please ask him for more profiler details if needed:

1 - http://community.jboss.org/thread/170415?tstart=0

Cheers,
Sanne