[infinispan-dev] All demos should be readily discoverable by RHQ

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Tue Aug 30 13:51:39 EDT 2011

Just had a chat with John and Ian and it could be doable via process scanning cos they do find JMX servers even if port is missing. However, it'd require some subclassing. I don't think this is top priority right now although a nice to have at some point.

I'll make a note for a future improvement, but right now I'm more worried about making sure it all looks good from an RHQ management perspective.

I think I've fixed all issues now and will focus on making it easy to run two GUi demos with diff JMX port. To be honest, we don't care what the ports are as long as one is used, so some kind of random port selection would be ideal although not sure how easy to achieve since you'd have to check that something is not running in that port.

So, Sanne's suggestion of making it easier to run with a diff JMX port could be handy.

Or alternatively have RHQ monitoring params commented in the script so that people can uncomment them with little pain. Similar to remote debugging ones. I'll probably go with this option.

On Aug 30, 2011, at 6:00 PM, Alan Santos wrote:

> RHQ scans the process list and looks for specific strings.  Some plugins then attach to a remote JVM and then look for specific means.
>
> If the selected port is spit out in a log it *could* be picked up after the initial process discovery.
>
> Right now it doesn't take advantage of JDK 6 tools or JMX enhancements that allow processes to attach directly.
>

> -alan
>
> On Aug 30, 2011, at 10:03 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>
>> No idea what it uses but effectively gets all the JMX servers and we didn't figure out which one contains Infinispan Cache Managers and which doesn't.
>>
>> On Aug 30, 2011, at 4:00 PM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
>>
>>> VisualVM automatically discovers processes using jps (running with the same user or root). Doesn't the RHQ agent use the same technique ?
>>>
>>> Tristan

>>> I was hoping in something better :)
>>> Could we add a parameter to the demo boot scripts? Hardcode a default
>>> value, but make it easy to change if needed.

>> --
>> Galder Zamarreño
>> Sr. Software Engineer
>> Infinispan, JBoss Cache