[infinispan-dev] Meaning of locking in Infinispan: ISPN-1546 and better general throughput

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Wed Dec 7 08:27:03 EST 2011

So in Infinispan we have a single type of lock associated with each
entry; I assume it's designed like it is to save on memory, as are
features like lock striping, and as the reason to not support both
read and write locks.

A problem I'm having more and more often, is that the "lock" is being
used both as something that leaks out as a way to control data
consistency from a "user" point of view, and as an internal artifact
to ensure consistent internal mutations of our data structure.

So the same Lock instance can be acquired for long term by a user
process, and prevent for example the data to be passivated on a
CacheLoader as this will attempt to grab the same lock.
These should really be two different things!

It might bring up some confusion as well, like with the
FineGrainedAtomicMap: the feature I need is to be able to lock values
in an atomic map individually, in terms of data consistency. This does
NOT imply that Infinispan should not be allowed to acquire locks on
the AtomicMap itself for brief moments, to proceed with other internal
processes.. be it to create a threadsafe iterator, passivate the entry
to a CacheLoader or even transfer the element to a new owned in the
grid.

Finally, to save memory I think that we don't need to guarantee these
lock instances exists all the time; granted it might be more efficient
to keep them as part of the Entry to avoid re-creating them too often,
but in some cases it might not be the case, so we might even make it
possible to create a different kind of Entry to optimise for specific
usage patterns.

In pratical terms, it's currently quite hard to design a consistent
data access using Infinispan's locks from a user point of view if you
have to consider that Infinispan might lock the keys for it's own
internal needs.

To solve ISPN-1546, I think it's totally fine to acquire a lock on the
FGAM for the time needed to create an iterator. But this lock needs to
be a different instance than the entry itself, and will be very short
lived, and not clustered in any way. it's just a means to guarantee we
can make a safe copy of the needed Array, and acquiring this lock
should have nothing to do with the "data experience" of preventing
some entries of the FGAM to be updated.

thoughts?

Cheers,
Sanne