[infinispan-dev] trace vs log.isTraceEnabled

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Wed Dec 7 12:10:19 EST 2011

On 7 December 2011 17:04, Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org> wrote:

> Just to put some perspectives on things.
> Yes the code will waste some cycles checking for trace level but I'd rather have you guys invent a better distro or local / tx / lock algorithm that will speed Infinispan by 10x rather than chasing 1/10 of a %. Just saying :)
>
> Profilers are fun but they tend to make you lose the big picture.

Absolutely, it's dangerous to play with profilers :)
But in this case it might be a simple solution, and we're speaking
about an overall 4% CPU time overall, and benefitting all projects
using JBoss Logger not just Infinispan. So that might be worth it..
but as mentioned I don't intend to spend "official" time on it because
I do fundamentally agree.