[infinispan-dev] Poor man's size-based eviction Re: ISPN-863

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Tue Jan 11 06:46:40 EST 2011

Hi Dave

Just saw that you signed the contributor agreement.

So yeah, what you may want to look into is the EvictionManager [1] which will periodically have its processEviction() [2] method called.  This doesn't actually do any evictions here (named so for legacy reasons) since the current data container is self-sizing/evicting.  However it is still periodically invoked to purge expired entries.

You can piggyback on the same invocation to test upper and lower bounds of memory utilisation (if enabled), but the bit that I still think you need to figure out is deciding which entries to evict, and how many of them to evict.

Cheers
Manik

[1] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/core/src/main/java/org/infinispan/eviction/EvictionManagerImpl.java
[2] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/core/src/main/java/org/infinispan/eviction/EvictionManagerImpl.java#L84