[infinispan-dev] Comments on tutorials etc.

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Wed Jan 19 06:30:53 EST 2011

On 19 Jan 2011, at 09:31, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2011, at 6:51 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:
>
>> Great feedback, Pete.  +1 to all suggestions here, I've added a few more notes inline with some of the points below.  Feel like making the changes you've suggested?
>>
>> Galder, could you pls help with the Scala-related points?
>
> Sure :) - see below for comments:
>

>> Cheers
>> Manik
>>

>> On 18 Jan 2011, at 16:17, Pete Muir wrote:
>>
>>> 10) http://community.jboss.org/wiki/InfinispanInteractiveTutorialwithScala
>>>
>>> Could do with some comments explaining what each line is doing, some of the code isn't self describing
>>>
>>> e.g.
>>>
>>> what does me entering val defaultCache = manager.getCache[String, String]() actually achieve?
>>>

>> Galder, care to look into this one?
>
> In fairness, to do that tutorial you should know a bit of Scala. In fact, to be perfectly honest, I don't see much point of doing that tutorial if you cannot understand that line! FYI, that's the same as the following java code:
>
> Cache<String, String> defaultCache = manager.getCache();
>
> I'll still add the comments though.

Really, I meant more relating to Infinispan than Scala. The only explanation for that section is "Basic cache configuration" when it could be

"In this example we first get the default cache from Infinispan, put a "aKey" into it, and then check it has been stored. Finally, we remove it, and check that the cache is now empty."

I know this seems trivial, but it can make it much easier for someone getting started - repeating the same info in different ways is very useful ;-)