[infinispan-dev] running test suite with JBossTM vs DummyTM

Mircea Markus mircea.markus at jboss.com
Mon Jan 24 10:35:12 EST 2011

Hi,

Right now we are running our test suite using DummyTM.
This is mainly for suppling users with a default, lightweight TM. And avoid a additional dependency.

Even though this worked well for us so far, this might not be such a good idea after all: there are many not-so-obvious rules to be considered when implementing such a transaction manager  which, if not implemented might make our XAResource implementation work badly even though it works fine(eg [1]). Or even worse, it might make it look okay even though it doesn't.
 On top of that there are grey areas in JTA spec, for which different vendors use different approaches. By using/testing against JBossTM we can document these usages and stick with (the recommended?) JBossTM functionality.

Taking this one step further, wondering weather it makes sense to keep the DummyTM as it is in our code base, given the fact that it is far away from implementing the spec. One solution would be to enhance it (-1 IMO), another to replace it. Perhaps with a lightweight JBossTM?

Cheers,
Mircea

[1] http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/infinispan-dev/2011-January/007243.html