[infinispan-dev] Faster LRU

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 19:53:38 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Manik Surtani <manik at jboss.org> wrote:
> I think we leave the old LRU as LRU_OLD and mark it as deprecated.

I for one am against keeping the old policy around, as the new LRU
policy implements exactly the same algorithm only in O(1) instead of
O(n).
It would have made sense to keep it if there was a difference in the
algorithm, but Vladimir even kept the batching from the old LRU
policy.

We should test it as thoroughly as we can, and to that end I've been
working on some additions to MapStressTest that try to measure how
good the eviction algorithm is. I think it already helped me find a
problem with the new LRU.

I've updated pull #414
(https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/414) to work on top of
Vladimir's pull request, in case you want to have a look. You might
want to adjust the number of keys and/or disable some of the options
in the data providers before running it though, it takes a lot of time
to run (and it also needs -Xmx2000m).

I've left it running overnight on the test cluster (cluster01 and
cluster10), I'll send an update with the results in the morning.

Cheers
Dan