[infinispan-dev] State transfer testing

Bela Ban bban at redhat.com
Tue Jul 19 12:39:16 EDT 2011

On 7/19/11 5:36 PM, Mircea Markus wrote:

> I think that even if you fix this in the unit tests it still might happen in a real-life situation, i.e. start two nodes and instead of forming a cluster they'd first form two clusters and then merge.
> Thinking loud about this issue: can't jgroups realise that this node wants to join and not to merge? E.g. if node B starts and wants to join cluster {A}: if B hasn't received any application level
>messages than can't jgroups just assume that it definitely wants to
join, and never wants to merge?

What if you start A, then the switch goes down, then start B ? B knows
it wants to join, but doesn't see A. A and B will only see each other
when the switch comes back up.

Of course, we always strive to have regular joins, not merges, but this
cannot always be achieved.

--
Bela Ban
Lead JGroups (http://www.jgroups.org)