[infinispan-dev] Interested in lending a hand

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Thu Mar 3 04:12:00 EST 2011

On Mar 2, 2011, at 11:26 PM, Olaf Bergner wrote:

> It is my understanding from what Manik said that we would like to have
> this CacheManager implementation being a part of the standard Spring
> distribution. Is that correct? Therefore, I have asked in the
> SpringSource forum
>
> 1. if those folks are interested in having an Infinispan backed
> CacheManager implementation contributed to them and
> 2. if so, what I have to do to have my contribution accepted.
>
> So far, I have not received an answer to my request. I'm a bit
> sceptical, though, since it *seems* as if the Spring folks only accept
> dependencies from their own Enterprise Bundle Repository which would
> leave us obliged to turn Infinispan into an OSGi bundle. Alternatively,
> we could always make it a part of Infinispan itself, maybe separated
> into its own module. Any thoughts on this?

Luca Stancapiano has been working on creating an OSGI bundle for Infinispan - https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-800

You might wanna ping him to see how's he progressing? Or Luca, if you're reading the list you could share some status with us :)

> Meanwhile, the implementation thus far seems to progress nicely, a first
> test passes. I'm developing against Infinispan 4.2.0.Final, the current
> stable version. For the time being I concentrate on supporting the
> embedded use case, although I'm aware that there is RemoteCache and its
> ilk. I would prefer to finally have two different implementations of
> org.springframework.cache.CacheManager, one backed by
> EmbeddedCacheManager and the other by RemoteCacheManager. Those two seem
> different enough to render any attempt at implementing a common
> abstraction futile. Any thoughts on this?

Two different implementations makes sense, they have different requirements.

> In addition to the Infinispan backed CacheManager I implemented two
> FactoryBeans for creating org.infinispan.Cache and
> org.infinispan.manager.EmbeddedCacheManager instances. At least a
> FactoryBean for the latter seems necessary since otherwise users will
> have a hard time trying to obtain an Infinispan backed CacheManager from
> their application context.
>
> Right now, all configuration is done by pointing those FactoryBeans to
> the location of a configuration file in the standard Infinispan format.
> The Spring way to go would be to alternatively offer setters for all
> configuration options. However, org.infinispan.config.Configuration is
> quite ... expansive. Are there any prominent options I should
> concentrate on first?

Things like JMX switches, clustering modes and locking settings are some of the things that are tweaked most often, so you'd want to start with those IMO.

> Cheers,
> Olaf
>

> Am 02.03.11 18:03, schrieb Sanne Grinovero:
>> Hi Olaf,
>> We just created the issue to track this:
>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-961
>> thanks for your help!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Sanne
>>
>> 2011/3/2 Olaf Bergner<olaf.bergner at gmx.de>:
>>> So I will implement Spring's CacheManager interface first. After that, I
>>> will have a look at ISPN-78. It looks highly interesting, yet not
>>> exactly trivial. Which is good and bad ;-) I'll see how it goes. Anyway,
>>> the list of open issues for 5.1.0.Final should prove sufficient to keep
>>> me entertained for a while.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Olaf

Sr. Software Engineer