[infinispan-dev] Competing for cluster wide lock between state transfer and rehashing

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Thu Mar 10 10:52:54 EST 2011

Right, I understand now. Definitely something to look into and see if it can be optimised... something for 5.x

Btw, your explanation would be a great addition to the distributedSyncTimeout config setting, people have asked it in the past - http://community.jboss.org/message/546285#546285 - I'll add it asap to the code.

On Mar 10, 2011, at 2:47 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:

> Yeah the processing lock in this case is on the Transport, which is shared by multiple caches.  The lock is used to maintain a coherent transaction log during state transfer or rehash.  Which means >1 cache cannot perform a rehash or state transfer at the same time.  We may be able to loosen this constraint, but this needs careful thought.  Create a JIRA for it?
>
> In the meanwhile just make sure your state transfer or rehash timeouts take this into consideration.
>
> On 10 Mar 2011, at 10:48, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Re: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBPAPP-6052
>>
>> I suspect here that the Hot Rod topology cache state transfer is competing with, most likely, the rehashing of distributed caches for the cluster wide distributed lock.
>>
>> Can someone (Manik?) remember why is this needed if clearly these two caches are unrelated?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Galder Zamarreño
>> Sr. Software Engineer