[infinispan-dev] Infinispan Large Scale support

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Fri Mar 18 06:22:05 EDT 2011

On 18 Mar 2011, at 07:12, Bela Ban wrote:

>> Initially we were seeing lots of little clusters form, increasing the number of initial members in the PING section of the jgroups-udp.xml file and increasing the
>> timeouts seems to have made things better but not great. Even at 20
> nodes, we are seeing messages where the coordinator is failing to flush.
>
> I do *not* recommend FLUSH in clusters bigger than 10-15 nodes ! FLUSH
> will definitely kill you if you have clusters of 100s of nodes.
>
> IIRC, Infinispan requires FLUSH, but I think this was removed in
> 4.2.1.FINAL. Maybe Manik or Vladimir can comment ?

4.2.1.FINAL isn't out yet, but it should be soon.

The strategy I'm taking is that FLUSH will still be enabled and required to maintain the same behaviour as 4.2.0, but you will be able to switch this check off with a system property flag, and provide a JGroups config that excludes FLUSH.

>> It does not appear that the default configuration scales to a large size.
>

> Correct. The default config is geared toward a 4-16 node cluster.

Yes, you will need to tune your JGroups config for larger clusters.  Maybe it makes sense to ship a "jgroups-large-cluster.xml" config as well, to help ease the complexity of this in future.

Cheers
Manik

manik at jboss.org
twitter.com/maniksurtani