[infinispan-dev] Infinispan Large Scale support

Bela Ban bban at redhat.com
Fri Mar 18 11:30:46 EDT 2011

On 3/18/11 2:19 PM, david marion wrote:

> Bela, Manik,
>
>   Thanks for responding. Will ISPN-83 be included in 4.2.1.FINAL? Yes, a large cluster jgroups config would be great. At this point we have taken the UDP config distributed with 4.2.0 and increased all the timeouts.

That's certainly not the way to do it ! If you post your config over on
the JGroups mailing list [1], I'll take a look and suggest
modifications. If we work on this a bit to get your cluster going, this
config could serve as the basis of a large cluster sample config,
shipped with JGroups and posted on a wiki.

> It took about 30 minutes to get to 150 nodes. The cluster appears stable once its up, the problem is in the startup. Based on what I am seeing and have read in the
>documentation, every time a node wants to join a FLUSH is sent across
the entire system and then a new view is created.

FLUSH can not be part of a large cluster configuration; virtual
synchrony was never meant to scale to more than 20 or so nodes !

> We are seeing nodes wait minutes to get the new view. It has been mentioned before that Infinispan was tested at 1000 nodes

Where was this mentioned ? I personally have never see such a large
cluster... The largest cluster I know of is ca 400 nodes...

Bela Ban
Lead JGroups / Clustering Team
JBoss