[infinispan-dev] What really is Infinispan

Israel Lacerra israeldl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 13:02:39 EDT 2011

Guys,

Sorry. It's probably not a dev question...

I'm writing a paper for my graduation (about Infinispan) as I said before.
I'm having some doubts about what Infinispan really is. I watched some Manik
presentations on internet and read a little articles. I saw Manik saying
something like Infinispan be a in memory data base, and not just a
distributed cache. And I read (
http://java.dzone.com/articles/data-service-data-fabric) that Infinispan is
something like Voldermort or Dynamo. And in some other sites, like
http://nosql-database.org/, Infinispan is classified like a "Grid Database
solution" (like Oracle Coherence) and somehow different of Voldermort.
Reading Infinispan documentation and these and other articles, I not really
sure what differs Infinispan and Voldermort.

I'm not really sure if I made myself clear, but I'm having some problems
defining what is Infinispan (or what Infinispan wants to be in the end)
(comparing with these other products).

Anyway... any replies to this mail could help me!

thanks!

Israel