[infinispan-dev] Per-invocation flag wiki

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Mon May 16 11:22:47 EDT 2011

On May 16, 2011, at 2:23 PM, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:

> Your description explains a use case / pattern but wo code showing how to implement it properly.

True and I think you have a point, though the use of putForExternalRead() itself is something that should be documented either its javadoc or a separate wiki.

This wiki should be limited to explaining the actual flags.

> In this case what's the best way for me to verify that the new data has indeed been pushed to the cache?
> put and then immediate get
> Put, wait, get
> Put all entries, then get all entries, and loop till all entries supposedly put are indeed present.
> Same as above but with some kind of batch size instead of all the data set?
> Or is there some kind of queue/log I can look for to get the reliable list of failures?

If you need immediate verification I would not use putForExternalRead() but maybe a putAsync() with the flags you want which returns you a future and allows you to verify the result in a less wacky way.

The normal use case of PFER is:
1. Check the cache whether an k/v is present
2. If not present, go to db and call PFER with it.
3. Use whatever you retrieved from db to do your job.
N. Check the cache whether k/v is present
N+1. Oh, it's present, so just use it instead of going to DB.

This could be a good FAQ, wdyt?

> Emmanuel
>

> On 16 mai 2011, at 10:20, Galder Zamarreño <galder at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> More wikis. I've just created http://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-16803 which explains what Infinispan flags are, what they're used for...etc.