[infinispan-dev] [Pull Request] Modular Classloading Compatibility

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Mon May 16 14:14:56 EDT 2011

On May 16, 2011, at 7:57 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> I don't like the TCCL either, so I'll repeat my suggestion from two
> weeks ago to just have:
>
> Cache c = cacheManager.getCache( cacheName, classLoader );
>
> sounds reasonable to me to have the application declare it's intentions once ?
>
> BTW I don't like
>
> "cache.get(K key, Class<V> clazz)"
>
> as we're not speaking only about the get(K) method, but about many
> methods and this will explode the number of method of Cache; on the
> other hand I think it;s acceptable to have a single Cache instance
> used by a single application/classloader. You can still have multiple
> applications share the same underlying cache and use different
> classloaders:

Guys, we're going around in circles. As I said the other week, you can't assume 1 cache = 1 classloader cos for example in the Hibernate 2LC all entities will be stored in a single cache as opposed to today where we have a cache per entity. And if all entities are stored in the same cache, we potentially have a cache that contains data belonging to multiple cache loaders. And the reason for all this is cos we don't support asymmetric clusters.

Could someone start a design wiki to grab all the requirements?

> getCache( cacheName, classLoader ) would return a delegate to the
> original cache, having a specific marshaller in the invocation context
> as Trustin was suggesting.
>
> Cheers,
> Sanne
>

> 2011/5/16 Pete Muir <pmuir at redhat.com>:

>>> No matter how I look at it, putting a classloader in a thread local makes me shiver.
>>
>> I also wonder why we want do this, given we already have a construct called the Thread Local Context Classloader ;-)
>>
>> Either we use that, or use some other mechanism.
>>
>>> Just imagine the mayhem you can cause if you "forget" to clear the thread local.
>>>
>>> I've done enough of Apache Commons Logging support to understand that you should limit the references to classloaders to the minimum, particularly in system classes/infrastructure.
>>>
>>> If we need to end up forcing users to register classloaders in these scenarions, we need to do it in such way that either:
>>>
>>> - we can detect these leaks (it might be a bit primitive now but old JBoss JCA code had an interesting way of discovering unclosed open connections)
>>>
>>> - if we give you on trying to detect them, the impact of a leak is reduced as much as possible.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> --
>>> Galder Zamarreño
>>> Sr. Software Engineer