[infinispan-dev] chunking ability on the JDBC cacheloader

"이희승 (Trustin Lee)" trustin at gmail.com
Thu May 19 22:12:38 EDT 2011

On 05/20/2011 03:06 AM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
> As mentioned on the user forum [1], people setting up a JDBC
> cacheloader need to be able to define the size of columns to be used.
> The Lucene Directory has a feature to autonomously chunk the segment
> contents at a configurable specified byte number, and so has the
> GridFS; still there are other metadata objects which Lucene currently
> doesn't chunk as it's "fairly small" (but undefined and possibly
> growing), and in a more general sense anybody using the JDBC
> cacheloader would face the same problem: what's the dimension I need
> to use ?
>
> While in most cases the maximum size can be estimated, this is still
> not good enough, as when you're wrong the byte array might get
> truncated, so I think the CacheLoader should take care of this.
>
> what would you think of:
>  - adding a max_chunk_size option to JdbcStringBasedCacheStoreConfig
> and JdbcBinaryCacheStore
>  - have them store in multiple rows the values which would be bigger
> than max_chunk_size
>  - this will need transactions, which are currently not being used by
> the cacheloaders
>
> It looks like to me that only the JDBC cacheloader has these issues,
> as the other stores I'm aware of are more "blob oriented". Could it be
> worth to build this abstraction in an higher level instead of in the
> JDBC cacheloader?

I'm not sure if I understand the idea correctly.  Do you mean an entry
should span to more than one row if the entry's value is larger than the
maximum column capacity?  I guess it's not about keys, right?

Sounds like a good idea for ISPN-701 because it will surely result in
different schema.

--
Trustin Lee, http://gleamynode.net/