[infinispan-dev] weekly questions

Mircea Markus mircea.markus at jboss.com
Wed May 25 07:55:34 EDT 2011

Hi Jonathan,

We're thinking about doing some significant changes/improvements around transactions[1]. I'd like to pick your brain especially on improvement #1, as this changes the way we acquire locks quite a bit.

With this new locking approach, we don't acquire WL for a transaction until prepare phase. On each write  we keep a copy of the written key on the node where transaction is executed so that each subsequent access, in the same transaction, would read/update this copy. Same goes for reads.
When transaction commits we acquire WL during prepare time. This looks to me very similar to the optimistic CC, just that there's no conflict verification before commit.
Also, it seems to preserve repeatable read transaction isolation correctly.
This is a very significant change in our transaction model - do you see any problems/suggestions around it?

Cheers,
Mircea

[1] http://community.jboss.org/wiki/PossibleLockingImprovements