[infinispan-dev] Single lock owner - please review

Paolo Romano romano at inesc-id.pt
Wed Nov 2 18:43:22 EDT 2011

Cool stuff Mircea! ;-)

We're actually planning for rebasing our total-order based schemes on
this pull, so we look forward to seeing it finalized!

Have you already implemented any mechanism to avoid consistency issues
related to inversions of the delivery order of commit messages at
different replicas (I mentioned it in some past mail)?

Actually, after a second thought I realized that if you only care about
eventual consistency you could use a simple scalar clock incremented
independently at each primary owner to order the commit events across
the non-primary nodes (using the Thomas Write Rule [1] to avoid any
blocking).

Then, if you want to raise the bar of consistency you would need at
least causal order among transactions... this is something that is
actually in our short term roadmap, along with and a new, highly
scalable (not relying on any global clock) serializable MVCC
algorithm... more on this soon! ;-)

Cheers,

     Paolo

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_write_rule