[infinispan-dev] RadargunTPCC benchmark review

Paolo Romano romano at inesc-id.pt
Tue Nov 8 04:45:24 EST 2011

On 11/8/11 8:16 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2011, at 5:27 PM, Sebastiano Peluso wrote:
>
>>> By the way, one last thing:

>>> What kind of results did you get?
>>>
>>> Did you try the latest Infinispan 5.1 snapshot too?
>>>
>> We tested only 5.0.0, at the time in which we were working on the Atomic Multicast based distribution scheme. At this link http://www.gsd.inesc-id.pt/~romanop/files/papers/prdc2011.pdf  the paper that reports the results. This has been accepted for publication at the IEEE 17th Pacific Rim International Symposium on Dependable Computing (PRDC’11), Pasadena, California, Dec. 2011.
> Ok, i'll look into that.
>
>> Note that the results published in that paper are based on a slightly modified version of the benchmark that we are contributing to RG, in which we "adapted" the benchmark to reduce contention. Specifically we commented out the line 121 of class  org.radargun.tpcc.transaction.PaymentTransaction [1], which would otherwise force each transaction of type Payment (accessing the same warehouse) to conflict with each other.
> Why did you do that?

This was not intentional: we had been playing a couple of months earlier
with the benchmark's code to understand its behavior and ended up
commenting out that line... and when, later on, we used it for the
evaluation of that replication protocol, we simply forgot about it....
We've realized this only after the recent code revision of the benchmark.

As a side note, I expect that the speed-up achieved via the Atomic
Multicast scheme would have been even larger in a higher contention
scenario.

>> About adherence to the spec, which is something you had previously asked me. We do not claim that is compliant to the specification. We simply based this implementation on a previously existing open source implementation of the benchmark (http://jtpcc.sourceforge.net/), and stripped out SQL queries to work directly with ISPN's key/value data model. Also, we did not implement transaction Delivery and Stock-Level which were quite complex to implement without query support. In future, in fact, it would be interesting to extend them using the new ISPN query support.
>>
>> Given all the above premises, I think it is fair to claim that this benchmark generates a workload which resembles the one of the official TPC-C.
> Cool, that's valuable information.

Galder, I am not sure if you have access to the cloudtm-wiki. We have a
dedicated page on this providing additional info about the benchmark's
implementation. Let us know if you want an account.