[infinispan-dev] [torquebox-dev] infinispan and hibernate-search

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 04:12:44 EST 2011

Extending this to Infinispan since Sanne is very much interested in this stuff and we discussed this when we met in Lisbon.

While there, we agreed that situations like this requires TorqueBox to deploy its own CacheManager which can piggy back on the shared resources it needs (i.e. JGroups transport, AS7 executors…etc), and this would be deployed alongside Hibernate Search…etc. This is where we're heading with https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1413

In the mean time, for your own Torquebox use case, feels to me sticking everything in the same module might be an easier solution.

Cheers,

On Nov 12, 2011, at 5:41 AM, Lance Ball wrote:

> Bob
> Well that sucks...
>
> But, fwiw, I think this last solution would allow us to ultimately ship this jar for general jruby use, while the former would not.
>
> I'm camping this weekend so doubt I'll get to it. Perhaps on Sunday.
>
> Lance
>
> On Nov 11, 2011, at 10:06 PM, Bob McWhirter wrote:
>

>> An alternative would be to once again completely ignore AS7's baked-in infinispan, bring our own entire stack of jars, and set up our own cache manager implicitly.
>>
>> That could still work.
>>
>> 	-Bob
>>

>> On Nov 11, 2011, at 10:03 PM, Bob McWhirter wrote:
>>
>>> Heya Lance--
>>>
>>> So, from what I can tell, Infinispan looks for an infinispan-modules.properties when booting to figure out what its capabilities are, including the search-manager to use, etc.
>>>
>>> 	https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Extending+Infinispan
>>>
>>> Previously, it worked because we included the hib-search.jar in the same classloader as infinispan-query.jar, being within out torquebox-cache module, since we brought our own infinispan, mostly.  I think.
>>>
>>> Now, we use AS7's, which has Infinispan in the shared modules and we're using it.  But it can't see the -query bit, so doesn't load the query-related componentry.
>>>
>>> I've poked around and I don't think we can dynamically add it at runtime.
>>>
>>> I think the potential path forward is to try manually adding the infinispan-query and hibernate-search (and lucene) jars to modules/org/infinispan/main/ module, perhaps, and seeing if that gives us a query-capable infinispan globally within the AS.
>>>
>>> If that works, then we can figure out the right way to actually stitch that together.
>>>
>>> It makes me feel somewhat queasy to muck about in other modules, but reading their mailing lists, it seems they are roughly aware of the problem, but haven't decided how to solve it.
>>>
>>> So, the steps I might follow (if I get a chance this weekend) are:
>>>
>>> a) take all the ispan-search related jars out of torquebox-cache's module, including our module.xml
>>> b) put them in modules/org/infinispan/main/*
>>> c) edit the module.xml in modules/org/infinispan/main/module.xml to reference them
>>>
>>> Basically, shuffle stuff from our module back to ispan's.
>>>
>>> I then hope we magically get a query-enabled cache-manager.
>>>
>>> I'll let you know if I get to it, and if I have any success.
>>>
>>> 	-Bob

Sr. Software Engineer
Infinispan, JBoss Cache