[infinispan-dev] PutForExternalRead and autoCommit

Slorg1 slorg1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 14:18:56 EST 2011

Hi,

See below,

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 14:10, Mircea Markus <mircea.markus at jboss.com> wrote:

> On 17 Nov 2011, at 15:39, Slorg1 wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> See comment below,
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:20, Galder Zamarreño <galder at redhat.com> wrote:

[ snip ]

>> I do not understand the need for #1 to happen given that a running
>> transaction already exist. In the case of a replicated cache, that
>> transaction exists remotely on all other nodes.
>> Thus why not apply the put under the same scope ?
> putForExternalRead(PFER) is an operation that has a special semantic different than put - and that's what would do, i.e. enlist in the calling transaction.
> One of reasons PFER was added was to try and do the put, but if not possible the ongoing transaction should not be affected.

Well, I think that the part I do not understand. Why not fail the
transaction if insert in the cache fails ? The alternative feels very
counter intuitive.
I understand that it is regarded as a "feature", but I do not understand it.
Should not failure at any level of the cache be important to the
caller, and if you really want the error to be hidden, why not
try/catch/swallow ?

Regards,

Slorg1

--
Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this email ?