[infinispan-dev] API, Commons, Core, OSGi, split packages, signed packages, etc

Tristan Tarrant ttarrant at redhat.com
Thu Nov 24 07:55:16 EST 2011

On 11/23/2011 11:40 AM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
> - we put things back as they were, unsplitting the core artifact and
> removing api and commons. This has minimal impact.
> - we properly refactor api and commons into their own packages. This
> will cause considerable churn.
I've been thinking about this a bit further, and I think the best
solution is actually a combination between the two.

I have created ISPN-1560 to track the unsplitting of -api and -commons
back into -core, and I also have a pull request ready which implements
this and also re-enables OSGi bundles.

During the splitting work done for ISPN-1490 I introduced two
indirection interfaces BasicCache and BasicCacheContainer to serve as
roots for the Embedded and Remote variants. I also identified common
internal classes (which got put in -commons) which could be shared
between the projects. I therefore propose the introduction of
org.infinispan.api and org.infinispan.commons as packages within -core
which will hold interfaces and classes which eventually are going to be
properly split out in a future release of Infinispan (5.2 ? 6.0 ?). This
gives us, and our users, a gentler approach to the ultimate goal.

WDYT ?

Tristan