[infinispan-dev] ISPN-ARQUILLIAN - embedded mode

Martin Gencur mgencur at redhat.com
Wed Oct 5 03:43:52 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 22:53 +0100, Mircea Markus wrote:
> On 22 Sep 2011, at 14:45, Martin Gencur wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm currently implementing support for testing of embedded caches in
> > https://github.com/mgencur/infinispan-arquillian-container project and
> > would like to discuss future steps.
> >
> > As mentioned in http://community.jboss.org/message/551784, the tests
> > should look like this:
> >
> > @RunWith(Arquillian.class)
> > class TestClass {
> >
> >   @InfinispanResource
> >   DatagridManager datagridManager;
> >
> >   @Before
> >   void setup() {
> >        CacheContainer cm1 = ...
> >        CacheContainer cm2 = ...
> >        datagridManager.registerCacheManager(cm1, cm2);
> >   }
> >
> >   @Test
> >   void testMethod() {
> >        datagridManager.cache(index).put(xx)
> >        datagridManager.manager(index).getStatus()
> >        datagridManager.tm(cache)...
> >   }
> > }//TestClass
>
> Nice
> You might also want to create a base class:
> AbstractTest {
>
>      @InfinispanResource
>       DatagridManager dm;
>
>      //some shortcut methods
>      public Cache cache(int index) {
>          return dm.cache(index);
>      }
>
>      public TransactionManager tm(int index) {
>           return dm.manager(index);
>      }
>
>     //...other
> }
>
> then your test class would be simpler to write and read:
>
> @RunWith(Arquillian.class)
> class TestClass extends  AbstractTest {
>
>      @Test
>      void testMethod() {
>           cache(index).put(xx)
>           manager(index).getStatus()
>           tm(cache)...
>      }
>
> }

Unfortunately, this is not generally possible. The base class could be
there when using JUnit. However, when using TestNG with Arquillian, the
class needs to extend org.jboss.arquillian.testng.Arquillian. i.e.:

class TestClass extends Arquillian { ... }

(look at an example:
https://github.com/mgencur/infinispan-arquillian-container/commit/4fdfab2273e30e0592fb308f3407c9d40e3a8419#diff-7)

This is due to TestNG itself (if does not allow Arquillian to modify
TestNG's behaviour via events to completely suit Arquillian's needs, so
Arq needs a base class that will help him with it - laicly said :-)

Martin Gencur
--
JBoss QE, Enterprise Data Grid
Desk phone: +420 532 294 192, ext. 62192