[infinispan-dev] user concerned about lack of "high performance" CacheLoaders

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Thu Oct 20 11:18:31 EDT 2011

Via twitter and Hibernate forums, @astralbodies seems to be doing some
interesting high performance *writing* stuff with Hibernate Search,
but in his experience Hibernate Search on disk is pretty fast, not so
the Search + Infinispan combination.

http://twitter.com/#!/practicallyUX/statuses/126774913884360704

In my own tests, we are quite faster than Lucene's FSDirectory even
while this uses MMap and NIO tricks, but indeed writing to a sync
CacheLoader will slow it down significantly, and since the performance
battle was won by a small margin only (close to 3X); I never recommend
a cacheloader in sync, but async introduces some limitations too (most
notably ISPN-1174, which can lead to critical errors with Lucene).

background, actually an interesting read:
https://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1013032

Besides pointing out the Cassandra CacheLoader, I think that at some
point we should spend some time tuning & testing the FS CacheLoader to
remove it's "experimental" flag and actually suggest using it.

Sanne