[infinispan-dev] multi-mapping with indexing - do we need big-table

kapil nayar kapilnayar1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 00:23:07 EDT 2011

We have two data sets {A1, A2, A3...} and {B1, B2, B3...}
Each B has some associated data {C1, C2, C3....}  which has 1:1 mapping.

The mappings would be something like (assume that C would be stored along
side B):
A1-> B1, B2
A2-> B3, B5
A3-> B4, B6, B7

Now, we would need the following indexes:
A->B and B->A

Notice, that both are unique mappings. However, as shown A has multiple
mappings to B.
The big-table type of data structure allow this and make it pretty easy off
the shelf.

Now, I am trying to explore if we can implement these mappings with
Infinispan.
We may need a basic multi-map - to store multiple values for the same key in
the cache.

1. The "get" would return the complete list of the values.
2. The "put" would add the new value without replacing the existing value.
3. The "remove" would remove a specific value or optionally all values
associated with the key.
4. These operations (especially "put") on the same key can occur
simultaneously from multiple nodes.

I know there is an atomic map option in Infinispan which may be applicable,
but AFAIK it requires transactions (which we want to avoid..).

Alternatively, perhaps Infinispan (in combination with lucene) can be used.
1. We should be able to create data structure {B, C} and store A-> {B,C}
with indexes defined for B.
2. Also, the key A could be structured as a combination of A+B to store
multiple entries like A1B1->{B1,C1} and A1B2->{B2,C2}. Lucene would allow
wild carded searches. e.g. To look for all A1 values we could do something
like A1* which should return both A1B1 and A2B2....I may be making some
assumptions here (feel free to correct!)
3. There seems to be one bottleneck though - since the cache mode is
"distribution", it seems it is mandatory to use a backend DB to store these
indexes and moreover the DB needs to be shared. This requirement actually
seems to defeat the purpose of using Infinispan.

Any ideas for achieving this implementation would be greatly appreciated.

For reference this email is further to the user forum thread
http://community.jboss.org/message/622996#622996

Thanks,
Kapil