[infinispan-dev] Why DistTxInterceptor in use with Hot Rod ?

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 05:40:37 EDT 2011

Going back to your original question Galder, the exception is most
likely thrown because of this sequence of events:

0. Given a cluster {A, B}, a key k and a node C joining.
1. Put acquires the "transaction lock" on node A (blocking rehashing)
2. Put acquires lock for key k on node A
3. Rehashing starts on node B, blocking transactions
4. Put tries to acquire transaction lock on node B

Since it's impossible to finish rehashing while the put operation
keeps the transaction lock on node A, the best option was to kill the
put operation by throwing a RehashInProgressException.

I was thinking in the context of transactions when I wrote this code
(see https://github.com/danberindei/infinispan/commit/6ed94d3b2e184d4a48d4e781db8d404baf5915a3,
this scenario became just a footnote to the generic case with multiple
caches), but the scenario also occurs without transactions. Actually I
renamed it "state transfer lock" and I moved it to a separate
interceptor in my ISPN-1194 branch.

Maybe the locking changes in 5.1 will eliminate this scenario, but
otherwise we could improve the user experience by retrying the command
after the rehashing finishes.

Dan