[infinispan-dev] Time for a tryLock() ?

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 05:05:24 EDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Mircea Markus <mircea.markus at jboss.com> wrote:

> On 26 Apr 2012, at 18:29, Dan Berindei wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Manik Surtani <manik at jboss.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 26 Apr 2012, at 13:05, Dan Berindei wrote:
>>>
>>> What seems to be missing is an overload with a custom timeout, it may
>>> be useful to try locking with a shorter timeout in the first attempt
>>> (maybe even 0?) like we do for deadlock detection.
>>>

>>> There is a flag for that.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/core/src/main/java/org/infinispan/context/Flag.java#L79
>>>

>> Forgot about that one :)
>> But still, it only allows a 0 timeout, so it's not exactly what I had
>> in mind - which would be a custom timeout per operation.
> Flags are Enum and not parametrizable, I guess we'd need to enhance the API to allow associating a param with a Flag as well.

I wasn't thinking of a flag, I was thinking of a withTimeout(timeout)
method on AdvancedCache. There may be other "flags" that could be
customized with a value as well, but then you'd need to keep them in a
map and it could be more trouble than it's worth.

The complication with withTimeout/tryLock OTOH is that as a user I'd
expect it to limit everything, not just the lock acquisition - so it
would have to override sync.replTimeout as well.

Cheers
Dan