[infinispan-dev] Infinispan and CAP Theorem

Israel Lacerra israeldl at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 15:23:11 EDT 2012

Guys,

Sorry if this is not a "pure" dev question... but I guess the devs now
better how to answer this. If nobody wants to answer, no problem! :)

I writing about CAP and I will talk about how Infinispan deal with it. But,
I'm getting a little confused about this:
https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Consistency,+Availability+and+Partition-tolerance+(CAP)+Theorem

Reading the new Brewer article on infoQ (
http://www.infoq.com/articles/cap-twelve-years-later-how-the-rules-have-changed),
is my understand that the application can choose between A and C. Partition
will occur always, and it's not up to the application to decide this. Even
in a network without communication failures, when we writing in a node, if
someone write in another node "almost" at the same time, the system will let
the two writes happen besides the latency (partition) between the two nodes.

So, what is making me confuse is:
"Infinispan has traditionally been biased towards Consistency and
Availability, sacrificing Partition-tolerance"

I know about the async options of Infinispan. So, for me, the users can
decide at a certain degree of consistency x availability. But, how
Infinispan can sacrifice partition-tolerance?

cheers!

Israel