[infinispan-dev] question on read committed semantics

Jonathan Halliday jonathan.halliday at redhat.com
Fri Aug 10 08:23:54 EDT 2012

a) v1.  A transaction's own uncommitted writes have precedence over
other values. Transactions are isolated from one another, not from
themselves.  That's roughly why ORMs flush any buffered sql to the
database before running queries in the middle of a transaction.

Jonathan.

On 08/10/2012 01:13 PM, Mircea Markus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ales raised a rather interesting problem around read committed' semantics.
> We have read_committed cache, and two concurrent transactions running as follows:
>
> 1. tx1:: cache.put(k,v1);
> 2. tx2:: cache.put(k, v2);
> 3. tx2:: commit(); //the entry is now (k, v2)
> 4. tx1 :: cache.get(k);
>
> Now what should the get at returned at step 4?
> a) v1 -> the value in the current transaction scope? (current behaviour)
> b) v2, as the isolation level is read committed and v2 is the last committed value
> c) would make sense to be able to switch between a) and b) on a per cache(config)/per invocation(flag) basis?
>

> Any oppinion much appreciated!
>
> Cheers,
> Mircea

Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Mark Hegarty (Ireland), Matt Parson
(USA), Charlie Peters (USA)