[infinispan-dev] X-S replication configuration

Mircea Markus mircea.markus at jboss.com
Fri Aug 10 08:34:40 EDT 2012

On 9 Aug 2012, at 18:28, Erik Salter wrote:

> Resurrecting this thread for a minute (insert "Walking Dead" reference here)
> -- there are two configuration operations -- sync and async.
>
> Are these related to transaction replay?  For instance, in the case of a
> transaction, does a "sync" configuration mean the cluster will replay a 2PC
> (or 1PC, in the case of synchronizations) to the other sites?

In the first iteration yes. Further on we can think about other ways of optimising this, e.g. if the 2nd site is passive, then sending only a 1PC should be good enough.
> And async
> means "fire and forget?"
Initially yes. The plan is to add some store and fwd capability at a further point, so it would be more like "fire and eventually deliver".
> Plus if I have the following configuration:
>
> <namedCache="cache1">
>          <backup name="STL" strategy="sync"/>
>          <backup name="SFO" strategy="async"/>
> </namedCache>
> <namedCache="cache2">
>          <backup name="STL" strategy="sync"/>
>          <backup name="SFO" strategy="async"/>
> </namedCache>
> <namedCache="cache1">
>          <backup name="STL" strategy="sync"/>
>          <backup name="SFO" strategy="async"/>
> </namedCache>
cache1 is defined twice, I guess this was a copy-paste thing?
> <namedCache="cache3">
>          <backup name="STL" strategy="async"/>  <---------
>          <backup name="SFO" strategy="async"/>
> </namedCache>
>
> ...what happens if cache1, cache2, and cache3 were started in a transaction
> in the PHL site?  How would these be replayed on the backup sites?  I would
> expect that it would be "sync" for STL and "async" for SFO.
yes.