[infinispan-dev] HotRod server and Rolling Upgrades

Tristan Tarrant ttarrant at redhat.com
Fri Dec 14 08:56:00 EST 2012

I would really like ISPN-2281 to be solved by the proper solution, i.e.
attach any additional metadata required by the servers (or any other
data "enricher") to the InternalCacheEntry and not as part of the value
itself. Metadata would be some kind of sparse structure whose values
could also be inherited implicitly by Cache-level metadata (to save memory).

Let's think about data typing: "a string is a string is a string", and
not some weirdly marshalled byte array (which may be influenced by
Marshaller, protocol value wrapper, phase of the moon, etc). Protocols
would say "this is a string" (e.g. REST via Content-type: text/plain,
InVM by just storing a java.lang.String) and the server would store it
in an "as-native-as-possible" format, recording the type along with it.
When someone retrieves it it needs to be translated to something the
client understands. Obviously if I'm going to have a Cache of Strings,
that metadata would be "global" to the cache and entries would not have
that information.

Was this ever planned ? Canned ? Banned ?

Tristan