[infinispan-dev] Proposal: ISPN-1394 Manual rehashing in 5.2

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 06:23:18 EST 2012

Bela, you're right, this is essentially what we talked about in Lisbon:
https://community.jboss.org/wiki/AsymmetricCachesAndManualRehashingDesign

For joins I actually started working on a policy of coalescing joins
that happen one after the other in a short time interval. The current
implementation is very primitive, as I shifted focus to stability, but
it does coalesce joins 1 second after another join started (or while
that join is still running).

I don't quite agree with Sanne's assessment that it's fine for
getCache() to block for 5 minutes until the administrator allows the
new node to join. We should modify startCaches() instead to signal to
the coordinator that we are ready to receive data for one or all of
the defined caches, and wait with a customizable time limit until the
caches have properly joined the cluster.

The getCache() timeout should not be increased at all. Instead I would
propose that getCache() returns a functional cache immediately, even
if the cache didn't receive any data, and it works solely as an L1
cache until the administrator allows it to join. I'd even make it
possible to designate a cache as an L1-only cache, so it's never an
owner for any key.

For leaves, the main problem is that every node has to compute the
same primary owner for a key, at all times. So we need a 2PC cache
view installation immediately after any leave to ensure that every
node determines the primary owner in the same way - we can't coalesce
or postpone leaves.

For 5.2 I will try to decouple the cache view installation from the
state transfer, so in theory we will be able to coalesce/postpone the
state transfer for leaves as well
(https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1827). I'm kind of need it for
non-blocking state transfer, because with the current implementation a
leave forces us to cancel any state transfer in progress and restart
with the updated cache view - a state transfer rollback will be very
expensive with NBST.

Erik does raise a valid point - with TACH, if we bring up a node with
a different siteId, then it will be an owner for all the keys in the
cache. That node probably isn't provisioned to hold all the keys, so
it would very likely run out of memory or evict much of the data. I
guess that makes it a 5.2 issue?

Shutting down a site should be possible even with what we have now -
just insert a DISCARD protocol in the JGroups stack of all the nodes
that are shutting down, and when FD finally times out on the nodes in
the surviving datacenter they won't have any state transfer to do
(although it may cause a few failed state transfer attempts). We could
make it simpler though.

Cheers
Dan