[infinispan-dev] Null values (somehow) allowed?

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 10:27:25 EST 2012

No worries Manik :)

However, this email tries to go beyond the JIRA itself. Null values are allowed and the issue does not fix that.

In my view, and I think we all share the same one, null values should not be allowed and Infinispan should react in the same way as it does for null keys. I'm pretty sure (almost 100%) this check used to be in place before, even for values, but I get the feeling it got lost somewhere.

Btw, this was already raised in July 2010 but we skipped it: http://community.jboss.org/message/551207 and we even have a dev thread for it! http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/infinispan-dev/2010-July/006025.html

Anyway, I've created https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1668

On Jan 4, 2012, at 1:25 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:

> See my comment on the JIRA - my bad here.  Galder, thanks for spotting and fixing.
>

> On 4 Jan 2012, at 09:54, Mircea Markus wrote:
>

>> On 3 Jan 2012, at 20:51, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Related to https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1661, the fix is clear, but how come didn't this blow before?
>>>
>>> The following code works fine:
>>>
>>>    cache.put("hello", null);
>>>
>>> I was always under the impression that null values (as well as null keys) were not accepted, which I think is good thing btw.
>> +1
>> This is also enforced by the contract of Map.put
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure this check used to be in place before, but did we somehow lost it?
>>>
>>> Anyway, I"m adding some tests in org.infinispan.api package.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> --
>>> Galder Zamarreño
>>> Sr. Software Engineer