[infinispan-dev] Distribution across multiple sites

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Tue Jan 10 13:02:58 EST 2012

Sorry for the late response on this thread.

I think solution #2 is overkill - this could be a huge bottleneck.  Something like solution #1 will work, but that's still expensive (in terms of memory consumption, and consequently GC).

Are the communications between relay coordinators (RC) asynchronous?  I realise the communication is not on the critical path of a transaction in either data centre, but it could still be sync.  If this were the case, we could  have something like this:

Assume {A, B, C} and {X, Y, Z}.  A --> X synchronously, but offline (in a separate thread) so calling transactions aren't blocked.  Assume key K is on {A, B, Z}.  A change to K would synchronously update A and B, and put the update on the RC (and backup RC)'s processing queue.  A then flushes to X, and on receiving the ack from X, informs B that the message was delivered.  If X crashes/doesn't ack, A keeps retrying, potentially batching queued updates.

WDYT?

Cheers
Manik