[infinispan-dev] DIST.retrieveFromRemoteSource

Mircea Markus mircea.markus at jboss.com
Wed Jan 25 06:58:55 EST 2012

On 25 Jan 2012, at 09:42, Bela Ban wrote:

> On 1/25/12 9:51 AM, Dan Berindei wrote:
>
>> Slightly related, I wonder if Manik's comment is still true:
>>
>>     if at all possible, try not to use JGroups' ANYCAST for now.
>> Multiple (parallel) UNICASTs are much faster.)
>>
>> Intuitively it shouldn't be true, unicasts+FutureCollator do basically
>> the same thing as anycast+GroupRequest.
>

> No, parallel unicasts will be faster, as an anycast to A,B,C sends the
> unicasts sequentially
Thanks, very good to know that.

I'm a a bit confused by the jgroups terminology though :-)
My understanding of the term ANYCAST is that the message is sent to *one* of the A,B,C. But from what I read here it is sent to A, B and C - that's what I know as MULTICAST.
More, on the discussion we had on IRC, jgroup's MULTICAST seemed to mean BROADCAST...
I hope I don't sound pedant here, I just want to understand the things correctly :-)