[infinispan-dev] State transfer improvements for 5.2?

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Thu Jan 26 12:17:05 EST 2012

On 26 Jan 2012, at 16:05, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> On 26 January 2012 10:36, Manik Surtani <manik at jboss.org> wrote:
>> Dan,
>>
>> Looking through what we currently have, given the blocking nature of state transfer, I wonder if we can improve on it by pausing the state transfer from time to time to flush waiting transactions?  I.e., if state transfer is in progress and a write command or transaction is waiting for it to finish, and since state transfer is chunked anyway, perhaps to let a few transactions through in between transferring chunks?
>
> Wondering about my proposal about transfering values separately from
> locks not being easier to implement? Or likely same effort, but
> better..

Well, thats what I want to try and understand.  If periodic flushing is easier/quicker/less risky to implement, I think we could do it for 5.2.0.  :)

Sanne, have you documented your design on separate transfer of state vs locks on the wiki somewhere?  I'd be curious to see what Paolo and the others at INESC and CINI think about it as well.  :)

Cheers
Manik
manik at jboss.org
twitter.com/maniksurtani