[infinispan-dev] State transfer improvements for 5.2?

Mircea Markus mircea.markus at jboss.com
Thu Jan 26 13:37:18 EST 2012

On 26 Jan 2012, at 10:36, Manik Surtani wrote:

> Dan,
>
> Looking through what we currently have, given the blocking nature of state transfer, I wonder if we can improve on it by pausing the state transfer from time to time to flush waiting transactions?  I.e., if state transfer is in progress and a write command or transaction is waiting for it to finish, and since state transfer is chunked anyway, perhaps to let a few transactions through in between transferring chunks?

Not sure it is as simple as that: allowing tx to to apply changes *before* the ST finished means you'd need to keep track of the keys the given transactions changed - they might be shifted around by the ST - and reply to them consistently. Sanne's suggestion details solves that in an elegant manner, as far as I remember.