[infinispan-dev] default value for virtualNodes

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 03:41:09 EST 2012

Hi guys

I've been working on a test to search for an optimal default value here:
https://github.com/danberindei/infinispan/commit/983c0328dc40be9609fcabb767dd46f9b98af464

I'm measuring both the number of keys for which a node is primary
owner and the number of keys for which it is one of the owners
compared to the ideal distribution (K/N keys on each node). The former
tells us how much more work the node could be expected to do, the
latter how much memory the node is likely to need.

I'm only running 10000 loops, so the max figure is not the absolute
maximum. But it's certainly bigger than the 0.9999 percentile.

The full results are here:
http://fpaste.org/cI1r/

The uniformity of the distribution goes up with the number of virtual
nodes but down with the number of physical nodes. I think we should go
with a default of 48 nodes (or 50 if you prefer decimal). With 32
nodes, there's only a 0.1% chance that a node will hold more than 1.35
* K/N keys, and a 0.1% chance that the node will be primary owner for
more than 1.5 * K/N keys.

We could go higher, but we run against the risk of node addresses
colliding on the hash wheel. According to the formula on the Birthday
Paradox page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem), we only
need 2072 addresses on our 2^31 hash wheel to get a 0.1% chance of
collision. That means 21 nodes * 96 virtual nodes, 32 nodes * 64
virtual nodes or 43 nodes * 48 virtual nodes.

Cheers
Dan