[infinispan-dev] DIST.retrieveFromRemoteSource

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Fri Jan 27 06:26:21 EST 2012

On 25 Jan 2012, at 14:22, Mircea Markus wrote:

> Agreed that having a configurable remote get policy makes sense.
> We already have a JIRA for this[1], I'll start working on it as the performance results are hunting me.
> I'd like to have Dan's input on this as well first, as he has worked with remote gets and I still don't know why null results are not considered valid :)
>
> [1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-825

IMO we should work on a configurable scheme such as:

numInitialRemoteGets (default 1)
remoteGetTimeout (default 500ms?  What's our average remote GET time anyway?)

So with this scheme, we'd:

	* Randomly select 'numInitialRemoteGets' from dataOwners
	* Send them the remote get
	* After remoteGetTimeout, send a remote get to the next data owner, until we run out of data owners
        * Return the first valid response.

manik at jboss.org
twitter.com/maniksurtani