[infinispan-dev] The need for a 5.1.1

Paul Ferraro paul.ferraro at redhat.com
Sat Jan 28 14:33:03 EST 2012

On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 22:42 +0000, Manik Surtani wrote:
> I really didn't want to do this, but it looks like a 5.1.1 will be
> necessary.  The biggest (critical, IMO, for 5.1.1) issues I see are:
>

> 1. https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1786 - I presume this has to
> do with a bug Mircea spotted that virtual nodes were not being enabled
> by the config parser.  Which meant that even in the case of tests
> enabling virtual nodes, we still saw uneven distribution and hence
> poor performance (well spotted, Mircea).
> 2. Related to 1, I don't think there is a JIRA for this yet, to change
> the default number of virtual nodes from 1 to 100 or so.  After we
> profile and analyse the impact of enabling this by default.  I'm
> particularly concerned about (a) memory footprint and (b) effects on
> Hot Rod relaying topology information back to clients.  Maybe 10 is a
> more sane default as a result.
> 3. https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1788 - config parser out of
> sync with XSD!
> 4. https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1798 - forceReturnValues
> parameter in the RemoteCacheManager.getCache() method is ignored!
>

> In addition, we may as well have these "nice to have's" in as well:
>

> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1787
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1793
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1795
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1789
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1784
>

> What do you think?  Anything else you feel that is crucial for a
> 5.1.1?  I'd like to do this sooner rather than later, so we can still
> focus on 5.2.0.  So please respond asap.
>

> Paul, I'd also like your thoughts on this from an AS7 perspective.

It would be nice to see those few minor issues that I raised post-FINAL,
specifically the xsd update and removing some of those startup WARNings.

I'm also chasing down a issue that we're seeing occasionally on our test
runs where we're attempting to perform a cache operation from a
@ViewChanged event which occasionally causes a flurry of "Failed to
prepare view CacheView" due to a
org.infinispan.remoting.transport.jgroups.SuspectException.  This is
definitely something that we need to figure out ASAP.  I'm not sure yet
if this is an Infinispan problem or whether I'm trying to do something
stupid.  I've opened ISPN-1806 just in case.

Paul