[infinispan-dev] test number variations

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Fri Jun 1 06:56:22 EDT 2012

TestNG/surefire in combo are dreadful at counting the number of tests. If you get errors, it will start counting failed before/after methods as well as real test methods. You basically shouldn't trust the count from any run except one where every test passed.

I would strongly advise using JUnit for this, and many other reasons:

* much better hooks into surefire, eclipse etc. etc.
* much more stable (rarely do I see bugs like this in it)
* you can actually debug the JUnit code without going blind
* much more flexible / extensible, due to use of runners

BUT it doesn't have the built in features TestNG has...