[infinispan-dev] Hanging testsuite / bug in TestNG?

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 15:06:25 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at infinispan.org>wrote:

> Hi all,
> the testsuite on master is regularly hanging for me, and I get all
> threads waiting while this one is spinning on the put() operation.
>
> java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
>        at java.util.HashMap.put(HashMap.java:374)
>        at org.testng.SuiteRunner.runTest(SuiteRunner.java:320)
>        at org.testng.SuiteRunner.access$000(SuiteRunner.java:34)
>        at org.testng.SuiteRunner$SuiteWorker.run(SuiteRunner.java:351)
>        at
> org.testng.internal.thread.ThreadUtil$CountDownLatchedRunnable.run(ThreadUtil.java:147)
>        at
>        at
>

> Clearly the parallel testsuite is not synchronizing properly on the
> HashMap, this looks like a TestNG bug.
>
> So I've tried to update to latest 6.5.2; from the Changelog this looks
> like fixed, as is a very long list of other issues; not least
>
> "Fixed: Skipped tests were not always counted"
>
> which might address the strange numbers we had noticed on Jenkins.

Excellent!

> But I'm still unable to run the full testsuite; what follows are the
> reasons from several different attempts:
>

> testng-SyncBasicSingleLockOptimisticTest) Exiting because
> lock.singlelock.SyncBasicSingleLockOptimisticTest has NOT shut down
> all the cache managers it has started !!!!!!!
>
> testng-SyncBasicSingleLockOptimisticTest) Exiting because
> lock.singlelock.SyncBasicSingleLockOptimisticTest has NOT shut down
> all the cache managers it has started !!!!!
>
> (testng-BasicSingleLockOptimisticTest) Exiting because
> lock.singlelock.BasicSingleLockOptimisticTest has NOT shut down all
> the cache managers it has started !!!!!!!
>
> (testng-BasicSingleLockOptimisticTest) Exiting because
> lock.singlelock.BasicSingleLockOptimisticTest has NOT shut down all
> the cache managers it has started !!!!!!!
>
> (testng-SyncBasicSingleLockOptimisticTest) Exiting because
> lock.singlelock.SyncBasicSingleLockOptimisticTest has NOT shut down
> all the cache managers it has started !!!!!!!
>

> Looking into the BasicSingleLockOptimisticTest I'm not seeing how this
> could be possible, so I'm wondering if this could be a problem related
> to the TestNG update? Any thoughts?

Galder and I saw the same thing with another test in Jenkins:
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-2117?focusedCommentId=12702926&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-12702926

To reiterate here, there was/is another concurrency issue in the
maven-surefire-plugin that caused it to sometimes skip @AfterMethod methods
after a failure. Galder upgraded the plugin to 2.12 hoping it would fix the
problem, but if you're still seeing I guess that wasn't enough...

Cheers
Dan