[infinispan-dev] TotalOrder and jgroups

Mircea Markus mmarkus at redhat.com
Tue Mar 6 17:34:02 EST 2012

> I say our best bet for now is to communicate with all stakeholders
> (e.g.
> Paul for the AS), and come up with agreed-upon sets of configs, to be
> used perhaps over a shared transport. I reconsider my previous
> statement
> and now think it's best to avoid hidden insertions of protocols.

+1 - I've started doing that and it's an ugly business.

Here's another approach:
- all jgroups configs shipped with ISPN come with the SEQUENCER added
- by default all messages have NO_TOTAL_ORDER flag attached
- RpcManager.invoke mthods would also support a totalOrder flag (similar to OBB flag currently supported)

With this approach:
- we would support heterogeneous caches on the same cache manager: TO, 2PC *and* non-tx caches
- we would allow existing users to switch to total order replication without the need to change the jgroups configuration
- the performance penalty of having the SEQUENCER for caches that don't need it, e.g. not tx caches, is minimal by the look of the code

How does it sound?

Cheers,
Mircea