[infinispan-dev] Very confusing L1 cache configuration defaults

Tristan Tarrant ttarrant at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 10:26:30 EDT 2012

On 03/21/2012 03:21 PM, Michal Linhard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I was trying to figure out what is the L1 default configuration
>
> The JDG default: DISABLED
>
> when there is no l1-lifespan attribute in the element<distributed-cache
> />, L1 is disabled.
>
> The Infinispan default: DISABLED
>
> when there is no<l1/>  element under<clustering/>  element, or the<l1/>
> element is empty, L1 is disabled.
>
> However the hardwired default in the code is different:
> https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/core/src/main/java/org/infinispan/configuration/cache/L1ConfigurationBuilder.java#L36
> the enabled field is set to true.
>
> this also means that L1ConfigurationBuilder prints a debug message: " L1
> is enabled and L1OnRehash was not defined, enabling it" even though L1
> won't be enabled in the end.

One thing you should be aware of is the following: in AS7's Infinispan
subsystem, a default cache configuration with l1 enabled and with rehash
not specified is created as a template for future cache configuration.
This configuration is not directly used to create a cache. Therefore,
even if you only have one cache and you say l1-lifespan="0" you will get
that message.

Tristan