[infinispan-dev] Cluster wide node name uniqueness

Bela Ban bban at redhat.com
Fri May 4 01:27:45 EDT 2012

Unless you use UUIDs it's hard to guarantees name uniqueness. For
instance, if there was a JGroups protocol which - before joining - sent
a broadcast to all members, asking whether the name it picked was
unique, and then joined, it would still not guarantee uniqueness. For
instance, if we are in a partitioned state, then a name picked might be
unique, but when a merge ensued later, we might discover that some other
member in a different partition has the same name.

--
Bela Ban, JGroups lead (http://www.jgroups.org)