[infinispan-dev] range query in Infinispan !!

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Mon May 14 12:51:04 EDT 2012

On 14 May 2012 17:40, Prabhat Jha <pjha at redhat.com> wrote:
> I have not used Infinispan's Query or Map/Reduce functionalities yet
> because of them not being in JDG yet.

I see but even assuming we would start something new, it will likely
take longer for it to eventually get into JDG compared to Query or
Map/Reduce.

> Yes, we can use those to get what
> I have mentioned. Query should be more straight forward and simpler than
> M/R I think. But Query has dependency on Lucene and I have experienced
> great pain in the past when using Lucene and FileSystem for shared storage.

Well Infinispan solves that problem, no shared filesystems ;)
https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/lucene-directory/src/main/java/org/infinispan/lucene/InfinispanDirectory.java#L43

BTW cool that you have experience with it.. feel to start working more
on this area?

> My perspective is a bit different. I am arguing for a "simpler" solution
> for a problem that I find to be very common. Similar to how in
> Cassandra, you can easily query based on a time range and the order you
> want.

I'm all for simplicity, but.. Cassandra is column oriented, so it can
do some more tricks.. have you thought how this could be implemented
on a distributed key value store like Infinispan?
Unless you have a really neat idea, I'm not sure how simple that could be.

> On 05/14/2012 11:05 AM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
>> why "not using Query" ?
>>
>> Such features are available in core using Map/Reduce; I don't think
>> that different approaches should be provided by core otherwise, there
>> is enough complexity in there...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Sanne
>>
>> On 14 May 2012 16:58, Prabhat Jha<pjha at redhat.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In QuickTweet we needed a way to get most recent x tweets for a user or
>>> on a topic.  Currently we are implementing it by  keeping entries in the
>>> cache and updating a bounded FIFO queue in parallel. However, to get
>>> most recent data or data for a given time range is a very common use
>>> case specially in social media applications. It would be good to see
>>> this range feature available in out of box (not using Query) in upcoming
>>> Infinispan releases.  Thoughts?
>>>
>>> I can get it started by creating a Jira unless I hear otherwise.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Prabhat