[infinispan-dev] range query in Infinispan !!

Prabhat Jha pjha at redhat.com
Mon May 14 14:27:12 EDT 2012

On 05/14/2012 11:51 AM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
> On 14 May 2012 17:40, Prabhat Jha<pjha at redhat.com>  wrote:
>> I have not used Infinispan's Query or Map/Reduce functionalities yet
>> because of them not being in JDG yet.
> I see but even assuming we would start something new, it will likely
> take longer for it to eventually get into JDG compared to Query or
> Map/Reduce.
>
>> Yes, we can use those to get what
>> I have mentioned. Query should be more straight forward and simpler than
>> M/R I think. But Query has dependency on Lucene and I have experienced
>> great pain in the past when using Lucene and FileSystem for shared storage.
> Well Infinispan solves that problem, no shared filesystems ;)
> https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/lucene-directory/src/main/java/org/infinispan/lucene/InfinispanDirectory.java#L43
>
> BTW cool that you have experience with it.. feel to start working more
> on this area?
>

>> My perspective is a bit different. I am arguing for a "simpler" solution
>> for a problem that I find to be very common. Similar to how in
>> Cassandra, you can easily query based on a time range and the order you
>> want.
> I'm all for simplicity, but.. Cassandra is column oriented, so it can
> do some more tricks.. have you thought how this could be implemented
> on a distributed key value store like Infinispan?
> Unless you have a really neat idea, I'm not sure how simple that could be.
I meant simpler from users of this feature point of view, not in terms
of implementation. I don't have any implementation experience on these
topics but my thought was implementing distributed comparator and
distributed sorted map. But you have already laid out challenges in your
another reply on this thread.

For this use case IMO, it would be okay to have expensive write for
faster read.