[infinispan-dev] Hybrid locking scheme in ISPN 5.2.0

Paolo Romano romano at inesc-id.pt
Tue May 15 10:58:43 EDT 2012

Hi Galder,

Let me try to clarify this. With Diego we have developed a system for
forecasting the performance (e.g. maximum throughput, abort rate, avg.
transaction execution time) of an ISPN application when it is deployed
on a cluster of a different scale (compared to the current one).

We modelled using analytical techniques and machine learning the locking
and network-related behaviors of ISPN, but we did our work on ISPN 5.0
(replication mode), which used this "hybrid", partially local/partially
remote (and distributed=> no primary owner).

In other words, our performance prediction schemes won't work neither
for Optimistic nor for Pessimistic. That's why we were hoping there was
a way to revive that locking strategy on 5.2.

BTW, we're trying to see how much time it would take us to build a new
performance forecasting model capturing the 5.2 dynamics.... wish us
good luck because we will need it ready in 15 days....

Cheers,

     Paolo